Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Making a Negative Experience Postive - Broken Cell Phone

Imagine:

Day one in London.
Go to plug my iPhone in and nothing happens.
Switch chargers.
Nothing happens.
Realize that something is wrong with my phone.
Minor panic sets in.
Then I remembered Apples stores are in London.
Then I realized I can survive without my phone.

I did stop by the Apple store today for an official diagnosis, and yes, the charger port is broken. It’s still under warranty, but there is nothing they can do for me really because it’s an American phone, not a UK one. Apparently there is a difference. I could have paid a ton of money to have one shipped from America before I leave London on Wednesday, but I definitely didn’t see how that would be worth it. When I’m not on wifi the only thing I used it for was maps. I had some maps downloaded and even without service it would show my gps location. But hey, paper maps work just fine!

It is a little tough when we do go into coffee shops with wifi and my friends all have their phones out, but Erin is letting me use hers to let my parents now how I’m doing every time we connect. It is sad that I won’t be able to text people directly to their phones. But luckily I have my tablet and I can still connect with Facebook.

In the past I have been too reliant on my technology and I want to use this unfortunate occurrence not only to help me make a better effort on focusing on this experience and these memories, but also to help me find a better balance between my technological life and life that is happening all around me every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment