Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Hanging Rock, NC

Having lived in Greensboro for a year and a half before this year, I am so surprised I had never been to Hanging Rock State Park. In September 2014, soon after this past school year started my group of friends and I decided to drive out there and see what the hike was like. It is only about a 40 minute drive and the hike is great! The main trail is just over a mile and a half to the top and back, plus they have many other trails of different lengths and difficulties within the park.
The main trail is a relatively easy hike, there is a section with a lot of stairs which can be difficult on the legs, but all in all, very do-able for a beginner! Once you reach the top you are at the "hanging rock" and there is a great view of the foothills and in the distance you can see the beginning of the mountains. You can also see the city of Winston-Salem from the top which is pretty neat.
Growing up on the coast with flat land and water for as far as the eye can see, I never knew I enjoyed hiking until I hiked up Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh, Scotland. I love that we have an awesome area to adventure right down the road from Greensboro. I've been a few times since that first trip in September and I even took a friend from home who came to visit. If you are ever in the Piedmont Triad area and want to have an outdoors adventure, I would definitely recommend Hanging Rock State Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment