Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Fitting In & Having Fun

This past week has been good, I certainly have settled in well. I didn't do anything super exciting, but I had a good time.
At the beginning of the week I spent quite a bit of time with some of the girls on my hall and we even did a workout video together a few times. Its awesome to get to know the people that have grown up here in England!
On Tuesday Montana (from Tennessee) and I went to Morrisons to get groceries and her friend Matt came along and helped us understand all the different British food. I bought canned Mac and Cheese, because I missed Kraft so much. Well I tried that tonight. NEVER AGAIN. I'll stick with Kraft. I also bought a lot of other food and I have been making some very tasty dinners! Chicken and french fries, Spaghetti and roasted zucchini, pork chops, mashed potatoes and bell peppers are just a few of the meals I have made. Having never cooked for myself on this scale before I am pretty proud of myself. I normally end up texting mom or Michaela like 20 times each night asking questions, but I haven't made any disasters yet!
Also, every Tuesday the farmers market comes to campus and you can get fruits and vegetables for much cheaper than the grocery store. Six eggs at Morrisons is £1.99 and at the market, a dozen eggs is £1.80. Yeah, way cheaper. This past week I also bought a pineapple for .80p with the expectation it would be an adventure and I would fail at cutting it. Well, not at all! It was actually surprisingly easy and the pineapple was great!
This week we have had some great weather, minus Wednesday - it rained and hailed and was particularly windy all day. And by windy I mean gusts upwards of 25 mph. Wednesday evening was the Christian Union meeting and it was ARK (acts of random kindness) week. This week we went around to kitchens on campus and did people's washing up (aka washed their dishes) and we got an awesome response! The boys in my building have continually thanked me all week and I got a pretty big hug from Ella. Something like that is so easy and it really makes a difference!
Thursday night Sophia and I ordered Indian Curry, which is really popular in England. It was pretty good, but honestly, I think I prefer cooking my own food! I never thought I would say that!
Friday was pretty busy! Montana and I went into Hanley and went to Primark to look around and pick a few things up. I don't think I ever described Primark - its a HUGE (3 stories) clothing store that is very reasonably priced. I don't think I saw anything over  £20 and most items are under £10. After spending most of the afternoon there, we came back to campus and went to the Jazz Cafe that the CU was hosting. There was some live music played by students, nibbles and drinks, and a talk about Christ. It was really nice to spend time with all the people from CU in a casual setting. Once I got back from there, the girls on my hall convinced me to go dancing with them at the Student Union. I said yes, got changed and was out the door in five minutes. That's what this trip is about - saying yes to opportunities that pop up even if it means a little less sleep. I can sleep when I'm back in America. I can't go to the SU with my British friends once I head home.
Saturday was very relaxing. I spent some time with Montana, then I ended up watching a movie with some of the girls on my floor and some of the 2nd floor boys.
This morning I went to Church at Breathe City Church in Hanley, and oh my goodness, it was great. It was such a great atmosphere, I can't wait to go again! I already know I'm going to miss it when I head home!
Wow! Now that I have typed out my week I realize how busy and full of exciting things it was! Reflection really makes me feel so grateful and this is another one of those instances.
But what is even more exciting is the fact that I'm going to London this weekend!! This will be my first big trip since arriving here in England and I am so excited! There is so much to see and do! I will definitely be writing a post or two about what we get up to! I hope everybody is doing well! I'll post again soon.

"Those who trust in themselves are fools, but those who walk in wisdom are kept safe." -Proverbs 28:26

No comments:

Post a Comment