Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Are You Alright?

So the first week of classes are over and the weekend is here. I think that I got pretty lucky with my classes. I know I'm going to love my British Culture class. I've already learned so much from one class period. I think the rest of my classes will be challenging, but I will get through!
I've had an exciting past few days and I've been busy! On Wednesday evening I went to the first Christian Union meeting and had an absolute blast. I met so many great people and got excited for God all over again. While at CU, Trista, who is also here on exchange from Canada, and I decided to book tickets to go to Edinburgh, Scotland with the school from March 14 - March 16. I am so excited to get to know her better an explore an awesome city! After leaving CU I went by Zoe's room and met with her and Celina and we booked tickets to go to London from February 14 - February 16. These are my first two official trips planned and I am pretty darn excited!!
On Thursday I went to an event held in Keele Hall and I was able to get a mini-tour and take some pictures. I am not sure how they turned out because it was night time, but I'll upload them soon and see. Friday I went to Hanley to get some things I needed from the mall (jeans, socks, etc). I have the bus system in the area figured out and it really makes me feel like this place is slowly becoming my home. In the afternoon I just did reading for my classes and make a plan for the next few days.
Saturday morning I got up and did some more reading, then I went to an event that two of the local churches were holding called "The Event." I heard some great speakers and had I wonderful time worshiping the Lord. I met some new people and was able to talk to some people I had already met. I've been stepping out of my comfort zone by going up to people I don't know at events and introducing myself. At first it was pretty tough, but I am so glad I forced myself to do it. I can see this being a positive and permanent change in my life.
This morning I went to church with some people from CU then we had lunch together. Again, it has been so nice to meet people who are on fire for Christ and be able to relate on that level. After I got back, I was going to do laundry, but it looks like Sunday is laundry day here at Keele. I'm going to try again tomorrow mid-day and hope there is a machine open.

So far I've been here for about 12 days and if I had a pound for every time somebody asked me any of the following questions, I would have enough money to travel Europe twice over.
-So how are you finding Keele?
-What course are you taking?
-Where are you from?
-Is this your first time in England?
-Have you been to London yet?
---And the most popular one: Are you alright? (The local area's version of "how are you?" but whenever I hear it I wonder if I look like I'm not alright.)

That being said, I am extremely thankful that people are interested in what I'm up to and want to make sure I'm enjoying my time here.

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment